Sunday, December 20, 2009

Balancing Act in Cambodia

I was only in Cambodia for 4 day. It wasn't long enough to do much more than see the temples of Angkor Wat. What follows are some funny encounters with tuk-tuk drivers. The temples themselves were incredible. I enjoyed cycling around and imagining the grandeur of the ancient Khmer civilization. At the same time, I wanted to be cognizant of and learn more about the genocide in Cambodia. It is worth checking out the following link: http://www.killingfieldsmuseum.com/genocide/genocide.html to read what happened in the times of Pol Pot and Year Zero. 30% of Cambodia's population died - an estimated 2 million Cambodians died by starvation, torture or execution...a silent horror most of the world doesn't know about.

(moment of silence).

Jumping to funny conversations with tuk-tuk drivers and touts trying to sell things...I've been trying to find a way not to be frustated by always being asked to buy things. I've realized that diffusing unwanted bantering with both a "no" and a smile/laugh makes it better.

Do you need a postcard?
No, I don't need ANY postcard.
Oh. Ha.

Hello lady (while I'm on a bike) you need tuk-tuk?
No, why would I need a tuk-tuk? I have a bicycle.
Oh, it's OK lady. You put bicycle here (on the side of the street) and you take tuk-tuk.
No, no, no. But I don't NEED a tuk-tuk. I like the bicycle.
OH! Okay lady.


(at 5:30am at the Angkor Wat temple, waiting for the sunrise)
Encounter #1
Buy coffee here free chair.
(After I move chairs for a better view) Why you be like that? You sat in my chair first! You sat in my chair first!
Encounter #2
Ms? Ms? No coffee? No chair.
Let me think.
No, no think. You pay now.
I'm thinking.
No Ms. No coffee, no chair. Get out now.
Okay, okay. I'll sit on the ground.
You sit on ground. (pulling the red plastic chair out from under me...ha!)

No comments:

Post a Comment