Monday, April 12, 2010

Visiting NOLS Patagonia

After spending nearly a month in Southern Patagonia, I flew up from Punta Arenas to Balmaceda, and then took a transfer to Coyhaique, Chile.  Coyhaique is the base of NOLS Patagonia, and one of my former instructors, KG (from Kenya) was finishing a course there.  I figured that hey, I´m in the area, so it would be fun to stop by and say hi.  Additionally, I am thinking about doing an Instructor Course (IC) with NOLS so that I could lead trips for them in the future.  Thus, the visit was also a chance to network, make connections at the Patagonia base, and feel out if pursing outdoor education with NOLS in the future is something I´d like do. 

In my week passing through NOLS Patogonia we went to a local horse race, had an asado (sheep roast), and I did some random jobs of stacking wood and mowing the grass to "earn my keep."  It was great to catch up with KG, and also meet the staff down there.  My future plans are still pending...but I think I would be interested in pursuing an IC in the future.

http://picasaweb.google.com/andriadhautamaki/VisitingNOLSPatagonia#

No comments:

Post a Comment