Friday, April 2, 2010

Volunteering in Torres del Paine

After trekking in the Parque Nacional Torres del Paine, I spent nearly another three weeks in the park volunteering with an organization called AMA Torres del Paine (amatorresdelpaine.org).  One of my goals for this year of traveling was to: a) spend an extended time in at least one place, getting to know somewhere more in depth and less in breadth, and b) to give back to some cause that I feel strongly about.  In this instance, protecting and preserving natural areas.  During my three weeks with AMA we made new signs, marked trails, cleaned up garbage, worked on a new translation of the website (not uploaded, yet), hung out with the workers at the Hotel Las Torres (lastorres.org), cut wire, and generally had a good time working and laughing.  While I was with AMA several other volunteers passed through from the US, England, France, and Brasil.  It was fun to get to know some other foriegners, as well as Chileans who worked at the Hotel, and enjoy lazy nights around a wood burning stove in a refugio.  I also became friends with some of the baqueanos (think Patagonian cowboy) and enjoyed riding some of the Hotel Las Torres horses in the evenings after "work."  It was a hard life.  :)   Another bonus of being in the park for more than the normal 4-8 day "W" or "Big Circuit" was not having to worry about the Patagonian weather in the context of trekking...if it rained one day, well, there was always another day of sun that might come.  My month in the park flew by - time had wings - and it´s definitely a place I´d like to return to.
http://picasaweb.google.com/andriadhautamaki/ALittleMoreTimeInTorresDelPaine?authkey=Gv1sRgCIK69N-688y6iwE#

3 comments:

  1. Hi!

    I am considering volunteering with AMA, but I wanted to do a little more research on them, particularly with the volunteer experience. Is it okay if I contact you via email?

    Thanks,
    Crystal

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am also considering volunteering with them, may I also contact you.

    Thanks,


    Riche

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi. My son is considering volunteering with AMA in Torres del Paine for this winter (their summer). He has a lot of trail maintenance and hiking experience, but is leery of places that you have to pay to volunteer, and instead is considering taking a volunteer job with a hostel in Puerto Natales. I'm trying to convince him since AMA is a non-profit they're not in it for the money, and that it would be worth the $400 a month it would be cost for him to be in the park doing what he loves rather than two hours away working in a hostel. What was your experience with AMA like? Please email me at kronstad@rcn.com if you have any thoughts on this. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete